Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Taking Haute Couture and extracting trends into the Mass Market

Hello all my Fashion Friends,

Today I am going to discuss a haute couture show from Christian Dior's current Fall line and I am going to take out elements of  John Galliano's designs and apply them trend wise to the marketplace.  I chose this collection because it is cheerful and elegantly done with florals.  When I went to Paris for the first time in 2001,  my husband and I stayed on the left bank by Montmartre and every morning I couldn't wait to just walk in  Jardin du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Gardens).  Ahh, the beauty of God's work so beautifully detailed at Luxembourg gardens,  I am a bit of  a gardener and designer and I love anything floral.  My Father has a rose garden where I grew up in a suburb of  Los Angeles and my sisters and I all  have rose gardens at our houses.  I have to say my sister Marilyn is a professional and my sister Peggy is right on her heels.  Beautiful designs and breathtaking color in their designs so without a doubt I applaud John Galliano's inspiration.  In Fashion we know that Haute Couture is generally more of an eye popping experience to exhibit high Art and Fashion together.  Usually, these are a little over the top in design and we know most are just for show and are toned down when brought to the marketplace.

In Christian Dior's current collection his inspiration is of God's magnificent flowers which is a high standard of beauty.  In this collection you will notice the stamen of the flower is the cellophane wrapped around the model's faces for added dramatic effect.  I will show you three photos and trends.

First, below we have a beautiful purple coat.  From this creation you find fur feathers on the Center front as well as the side seams.  Fur is a very popular trend and is a beautiful edition to this coat.  Mr. Galiano also uses ruffles on the collar (and lots of them) to utilize the trend of ruffles which is in the stores and of course, purple is a trend color.  I love the way he mixes his fabrics and creates such volume mixed with texture.



The next piece in his collection is showing the use of ombre.  Ombre (or the transition of colors) is beautifully done in from black to gray to white, all of which are trend colors.  Again, he uses ruffles and texture and the silhouette does have a wide silhouette on the skirt portion of the dress.  This is a gorgeous dress and one of my favorites from this collection.  The model I believe is also wearing shoulder pads which is also a  trend but the shoulder pad trend now in stead of the 1980's shoulder pad trend has more structure in it's designs.  They are used more for emphasis in the current trend and oftentimes the shoulder pad will extend well over a 1/2" off the shoulder.  I also love his choice of the orange sandels on the model to tie in the backdrop of the orange flowers.


The third garment in his show I chose uses two beautiful blues which I don't believe is a current fall color but is definitely a spring color to come.  His trend in this is the gorgeous floral brocade in the bodice of the dress in blue and white and reminiscent of tulips in Holland.  His skirt of the dress is also a trend in that it is a full circle skirt elaborately done in layers of tulle.  I could see this dress toned down with the skirt portion deleting the volume selling in the marketplace,  I love the bodice and those are my colors blue and white.  It's such a cheerful dress and thank Goodness John Galliano loves color like myself and where else not to look for inspiration and color than in the Garden!


A picture of John Galliano below

Pictures courtesy of Style.com

Here's is a little poem I thought of  it's a play off of Ruyard Kipling's Trees:

I think that I shall never see anything as breathtaking as flowers can be.  To marvel at the creator's hands, his exquisite details that meet our eyes.  The delicate balance that soothes the soul and brings delight in a perilous world.  For in a flower the  inspiration is endless I see and mixed with other flowers  the collection together is awe inspiring.  Flowers bring such joy to my  face and make me think of my Redeemer's grace. 

A picture of myself  in Luxembourg Gardens,

Au Revoior!

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment